Epilepsy Ireland is the national organisation for epilepsy in Ireland. We are a registered charity both with the Charities Regulatory Authority (No. 20010553) and with the Revenue Commissioners (CHY 6170). We are also a Company Limited by Guarantee, registered with the Companies Office (Brainwave The Irish Epilepsy Association CLG, Registered Number 77588).
We are governed in accordance with our Constitution by a Board of Directors comprised of people with epilepsy, family members of people with epilepsy, medical professionals, business professionals and others with a direct interest in our mission and vision.
The Board is advised by a number of sub-committees and is responsible for the overall control and strategic direction of the charity. The Board's decisions are put into effect by the Chief Executive and the Management Team.
Our Board members and members of our sub-committees are volunteers who donate freely their time, skills and experience. None of our directors receive any remuneration for their service. Visit the 'Our Board' section of our website to learn more about the people who form our board, and the different sub-committees of Epilepsy Ireland.
Reassuring our members, supporters and the public about our standards of governance is very important to Epilepsy Ireland. Some of the ways in which we do this is include:
- Our Board has formally and fully adopted the Charities Governance Code. You can read this code in full by visiting the Charity Regulatory Authority's website.
- We comply with the Guidelines for Charitable Organisations on Fundraising from the Public. You can read more on this by visiting the 'Our Donor Charter' section of our website.
- Our financial statements are audited annually in accordance with the Statement of Recommended Practice (SORP) for charities and the FRS 102 accounting standard. Our current auditors are Deloitte, one of Ireland’s leading audit firms. Our audited annual accounts from 2011 to 2021 can be found by visiting the 'Publications' section of our website. can be found here.
- We produce a detailed Annual Report outlining our activities and finances. Annual Reports from 2011 to 2020 can also be found by visiting the -Publications' section of our website.
- We publish an annual statement on our Use of Funds. You can read our most recent Use of Funds statement by visiting the 'Use of Funds' section of our website
- We have attained the IQ Quality Mark. You can read more about what this means by visiting the IQ' quality mark section of our website.
For further information on our governance codes and procedures, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Our details can be found in the 'Contact Us' section of our website.