Research Call 2021-2022 - Now Open
Opening Date: September 21st 2021
Closing date: November 5th 2021
Epilepsy Ireland is committed to supporting Irish epilepsy research and since 2009, over €1,000,000 has been invested in a wide range of high quality projects, many in conjunction with the Health Research Board under the HRB/HRCI Joint Funding Scheme.
We are delighted to launch our 8th Research Call and we now invite applications for epilepsy-focused research projects of up to a three-year duration to a maximum of €50,000 p.a. Proposals funded under this call will begin in Autumn 2022.
Research Priorities 2021/22
For the current round, we are inviting applications that address the following topics:
- SUDEP & Epilepsy Mortality
- Cannabinoids in Epilepsy
- Epilepsy in Women (applications that focus on epilepsy in pregnancy are particularly welcomed)
- Psychosocial aspects of epilepsy (for example comorbidities, cognitive/ behavioural effects, employment/education, lifestyle/QoL etc.).
- Genetic and molecular mechanisms of epilepsy.
These research priorities have been set in consultation with Epilepsy Ireland members and service users and reflect the priorities of participants who completed our Research Priorities survey in August/ September 2021.
We encourage applications for all types of research including basic, clinical, psychosocial and health services research.
For this round, there will be no pre-application/ expression of interest phase. Applicants should complete the Full HRB/HRCI Application form available in the Application pack (link below). We strongly recommend that applicants review BOTH the HRB Guidance notes as well as the additional Epilepsy Ireland guidance prior to beginning an application.
Download the Application Pack here (Dropbox link).
Timeline for the Call
- Closing date for applications: 5th November
- International Peer Review: November - January
- Right to Reply: Early February 2022
- EI Research Committe review and ranking: early March 2022
- HRB Submission deadline: 11th March 2022
- HRB co-funding decisions: June 2022
- Applicant notification: July 2022.
- Project start: November 2022
- See the HRCI website, or
- Contact Peter Murphy, pmurphy(at)epilepsy.ie or 01 4557500