It is an important part of being seizure-aware that you know what to do if you see someone having a seizure.
- Take care to protect the person.
- Ensure you stay with them.
- Allow the seizure to run its course (you cannot stop a seizure and in most cases it will last for a few seconds to a few minutes).
- Move the person onto their side when the seizure is over (for tonic clonic/ convulsive seizures). Remember to reassure the person after the seizure is over and explain what has happened.
When to call an ambulance
if it is the first known seizure
- the seizure lasts over 5 minutes
- more seizures follow without recovery
- the person is injured, pregnant, has another medical condition or you are in any doubt.
Joe Schmidt explains TEAM in the video below.