It is an important part of being seizure-aware that you know what to do if you see someone having a seizure.
- Take care to protect the person.
- Ensure you stay with them.
- Allow the seizure to run its course (you cannot stop a seizure and in most cases it will last for a few seconds to a few minutes).
- Move the person onto their side when the seizure is over (for tonic clonic/ convulsive seizures). Remember to reassure the person after the seizure is over and explain what has happened.
The Full Game Plan
- Tonic-Clonic Seizures (aka Major, Convulsive or Grand-Mal)
- Complex Partial seizures (aka Focal or Temporal lobe seizures)
- When to call an ambulance
- Get the Seizure first aid posters
Joe Schmidt explains 'TEAM' in the video below