Epilepsy Ireland provides a one-day training course in Epilepsy Awareness and the administration of Buccal Midazolam to individuals who support people with epilepsy through their profession or in a community setting. Examples of people who attend this training are, healthcare workers, education staff, bus escorts, employers/employees (working alongside a person with epilepsy), community workers in both private and voluntary sectors and facilitators of extra-curricular activities in the community. If you have a query as to whether this training is suitable for you please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
These professions often involve the care of a person or child with epilepsy, and it is vital that those caring for a person with epilepsy have a clear understanding of the condition and what to do in the event of an emergency. Our training course is divided into two parts and the course content is outlined below.
Part 1: Epilepsy Awareness
- What is epilepsy?
- Causes and Diagnosis
- Types of seizures
- Stages and management of Focal Impaired Seizures and Tonic Clonic Seizures
- When to call an ambulance
- Seizure triggers
- Treatment options
- Medication side effects
- Lifestyle implications
- Recording seizures
- Epilepsy Care Plan
Part 2: Buccal Midazolam
- What is Midazolam?
- How Buccal Midazolam works
- Advantages of Buccal Midazolam
- Potential side effects
- Indications for use
- How to prepare Buccal Midazolam
- Practical demonstration
At the end of the course the attendees will:
- be able to recognise and describe common seizure types
- be able to understand common causes of epilepsy and triggers of seizures
- know how to manage seizures appropriately including when it is appropriate to administer Buccal Midazolam
- know how to record a seizure and understand the importance of an epilepsy care plan
- know when to seek medical help
A certificate of attendance will be issued which is valid for two years. This training will be delivered online by Epilepsy Ireland, Training & Quality Manager, Edel Curran. As a patient organisation, our team can offer follow up support to organisations and individuals who have undertaken this training. Cost is €75 per person.
- WHEN: Wednesday 7th December
- TIME: 10.00am – 3.00pm
- WHO: Professionals Only
- HOSTED BY: The training will be delivered by Epilepsy Ireland Training & Quality Manager, Edel Curran
- WHERE: Online, via Zoom!
- COST: €75 per person
- REGISTRATION: To reserve your place for this upcoming training session, click our Eventbrite registration button below.