2013 Research Funding Scheme
Opening Date: January 7th 2013
Closing date: February 28th 2013
As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting Irish epilepsy research, Epilepsy Ireland (formerly Brainwave - The Irish Epilepsy Association) invites applications for epilepsy-focused research projects of up to a three-year duration to a maximum of €50,000 p.a. commencing in December 2013.
Applications are invited on the following areas for 2013:
- Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy, Status Epilepticus or other epilepsy deaths
- Psychosocial aspects of epilepsy
- Epilepsy in the Intellectual Disability population
- Epilepsy and the older person
- Effects of Generic to Generic substitution of AEDs
All proposals received by Epilepsy Ireland will be subjected to a rigorous three-stage peer review process:
- Stage 1: An external peer review by at least three international expert peer reviewers
- Stage 2: Applicant's Right to Reply to each of the (anonymised) reviews obtained in Stage 1.
- Stage 3: Evaluation by Epilepsy Ireland's Research Peer Review Board
Following this process, the highest ranking proposals will be submitted for consideration under the Joint Funding Scheme operated by the Medical Research Charities Group & the Health Research Board. Successful applications will be co-funded by Brainwave and the HRB from December 2013.
This is the fourth round of funding provided under Epilepsy Ireland's Research Funding Scheme. To date, six projects have been funded since 2010 with over 600,000 euro in funding approved. Further details on these projects are available here.
Application criteria, guidance notes, application forms etc can be downloaded here.
Applications must be submitted on the official application form on or before February 28th 2013.
For further information, please contact:
Peter Murphy, Deputy CEO
pmurphy(at)epilepsy.ie or 01 4557500